Japan Diary: March 15th (2010)

Read the story from the beginning HERE (From the bottom of the page.)

Monday March 15th (2010) – “The day mutants invaded the house”

Today, I was awoken by the pouring rain outside, which hit against my window.  I got up and got ready. Today Keiko had promised to come by with friends from her “mother group” (other women with babies) Around 1 o’clock, Keiko’s car pulled up outside the house, followed by two other cars. I stood in the hallway ready to greet the three women with accompanying babies. The rain was still heavy and everyone rushed to get inside.

We all got seated in the tatami room and Keiko rushed from that room and the kitchen with the, cake and other things. I sat down on a pillow in front of the knee-high table and tried to look as social as possible. Keiko asked me where Hiro was and I remembered that I hadn’t seen him since yesterday. I guessed he was still in his room. Lazy guy.

The two women seemed to enjoy talking with the “foreign girl who spoke Japanese”. Especially since it’s not that Miyazaki is overcrowded with it comes to foreign tourists. They also took turns of handing me their 7 months old babies and taking pictures. Now they were the tourists? The two women left around 5 o’clock and Keiko went to the kitchen to prepare dinner and she asked me to look after Hikaru.

Hiro was still nowhere to be seen. Why did I care anyway? I asked myself and fought the urge to keep looking at the door of his room. Keiko went home and I ate dinner with my host father and mother. Shortly after dinner was finished my host mother went to bed and since the thought of watching TV with the father, in silence, didn’t excite me I went to my room.

Around 9 o’clock in the evening, I heard voices coming from the living room. I silently went out in the hall and went towards the living room. Hiro and his father were watching television with their backs turned against me. They had not heard me enter and I decided to stand there quietly – why? Well, I like to scare people like that. Evil me. I pretended to watch the TV, but in reality I was watching Hiro. I was standing like that, until Hiro finally noticed me. I went and sat next to him and asked him where he had been.

“I had a head ache.”

“Just that?”


“Damn, you’re weak.”

After some time his father went to bed and we were left alone. Like always, silence followed.

“You were gone all day.” I said and tried to sound casually.

“Were you lonely?”

I considered which answer to give. Up till now I had been pretty cold and sarcastic, maybe I should start to be more honest about my feelings, since I don’t think this guy took subtle hints very well.

“A bit.” I answered.

“Really?! Then you should just have told me to come out.”

Was it that easy?  We sat there for some time, even though we both spoke Japanese it was like we couldn’t find the right words to say to each other. Suddenly Hiro tickled my knee, I felt that touch all the way through my body. After some time I decided to go take a shower, but out in the bath room I noticed, what I would consider a fairly big spider crawling on the wall. I knew I would not be able to take a shower, due to my huge fear of spiders so I went to the living room. I saw that the light was still on in Hiro’s room, so he was awake. I worked up courage and knocked on his door. He answered with a yes, but I waited for him to open the door himself, which he did shortly after. I told him my problem and he followed me to the bathroom.

“That one?” he asked and grinned.

“Yes, that one”

“That’s small. You should see the ones we normally have, they’re like…”

“No need!” I said and cut him off, while he was gesturing a size with his hands.

Two hands to show the size of one spider made me uncomfortable. While Hiro was removing the spider I left the bathroom and waiting in the hall. I suddenly looked up towards the ceiling, there I saw something I prayed to be a shadow, but I realized it wasn’t. It was a spider, bigger than I had ever seen, including television and bigger than my hand. I was sure my face had turned pale in the darkness of the hallway and I had trouble breathing. That wasn’t a spider, that was a mutant. Hiro came out and told me he had gotten rid of the spider, but all I could do was point towards my new discovery.

“See! That’s the ones I was talking about!” he said and laughed.

“Just get rid of it!”

“Yes, yes.” He said and shook his head.

He went to the living room and returned with a broom. I back down the hallway, while I watched him brush the spider down to the floor and direct it towards the door. It was like he was walking a dog. I turned around and looked at the door, which was next to the door of my room. There was another mutant sitting and starring back at me and that’s when I panicked.

Hiro returned with a smiling face and told me he had taken care of the problem.

“There’s a new one” and whimpered, Hiro looked at the door and sighed. He chased the spider into the room of the door it was sitting on.

“It’s okay” he then said and went over to me.

“It’s not okay.” I whimpered.

“It’s okay” he repeated and patted my head.

He went to check the rest of the hall and I followed.

“It’s okay” he said once again while fighting back a laugh.

“It’s not okay!” I snapped back and gave him a push.

“If you see anymore, just call me” Hiro said and went towards his room.

I went to the shower and hurried to my room, which I also gave a thorough check.

I regretted that I had decided to prolong my stay in Miyazaki, when I ordered my bus ticket for Fukuoka a few days earlier. First my plan had been to go to Fukuoka the following Saturday, but I changed it to Monday instead, giving me two more days. Around 4 in the morning I finally fell asleep.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s